Friday, July 22, 2011

That red card still sings Vande Mataram. Come sing with us.

I once had a pen friend, 'very sweet and caring', as a 16-year-old would put it. Out of the 4-5 of them he had the best hand writing and was a naval pilot. I must have exchanged a maximum of 4 or 5 letters with him. He wrote at length and expected lengthy reply, something he could cherish for long, to help keep him from missing family. I know nothing of him other than the person he was and the thoughts he would share through every paragraph he wrote. I never saw even his photograph. But I can recognise that handwriting from anywhere, anytime.
Subir Kumar, was his name. I remember the largest card of my life received on my birthday in 1998. He promised me a gift for my next birthday. I suppose I was to expect his photograph or him then.

Kargil conflict took place between May and July 1999.

Subir, you still owe me that gift.

6 comments:

JAGANNATH KH said...

Good One..isn't he on FB?

Unknown said...

Nowhere that I can find him. Am not sure if Kargil really took over him, but I haven't heard of him after that event.
Also, its a common name, I would never be able to locate him by that name alone.
All I remember about him is nothing that I can explain to anyone to help me find him.

Nj said...

I am not that person.. :) hope you meet him soon.. I am sure that Kargil has not taken him , coz No naval pilot took part in Kargil... (kargil used MiG21 and M2000 ,IN uses Sea Harrier... )

Unknown said...

That's the first good news I have heard in this issue.
Thank you.

Shrinivas Kulkarni said...

I'm still confused with Kargil thing doing here...... If he has not replied to you from 1999? Is it possible now?

Inchara said...

All the best madam.:-)